With access to instant information and instant communication, the internet has given us many benefits. It has also opened the way for new addictions, like compulsive online gaming, gambling, pornography, shopping and social media use.
Internet addiction can be all-consuming, taking time and energy from our responsibilities and closest relationships. In this way, internet-based addictions have similar consequences to other addictions in how they can harm individuals and families.
Some signs of internet addiction include:
- Staying online longer than intended.
- Losing track of time while online.
- Increasing, extreme amounts of time being spent online.
- Using the internet to escape problems.
- Eroding relationships.
- Work, household and family responsibilities go unmet.
- Eating and sleeping patterns deteriorate.
If you suspect that you or someone close to you may have an internet addiction, we offer treatment in our Appleton, Waupaca and Wautoma locations. You can reach us by calling 920-734-2601 or email us at email@example.com.
Counseling is also available for family members of people with various types of online addiction, whether or not these individuals seek help.